22nd June 2020
Hey developers! Website performance starts with you.
As everyone knows, website performance is important for user experience and SEO. It has the potential to affect your website's conversion rate, bounce rate and therefore the overall effectiveness of your website as a marketing or commerce tool.
More often than not, this is left to design and marketing to take responsibility for - but not at MtE. Here, we all play our role in ensuring the site performance supports the efforts of our colleagues too.
So, here are my 5 top tips for developers looking to enhance their website performance:
1. Use Cloudflare CDN
Here are some key features:
- Brotli compression
- Browser caching TTL - set static content caching to 1 year
...and your videos!
4. Optimise your images for web
Don't leave this to your editors, if you're testing it - optimise it. Here's some tools to help:
5. Cache repetitive and expensive calls where the response does not frequently change
Other considerations and recommendations:
- If SEO is not important, make your website a SPA.
- Audit your site using Google Lighthouse and GT Metrix
- Google Developer Web Performance Tips on YouTube